Monday, 16 April 2012

In Your Face: Lip Butter vs Rouge Caresse.



Revlon Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake and L'oreal Rouge Caresse in Fashionista Pink.

I mentioned in my last wishlist post that I wanted to check out the L'oreal Rouge Caresse and Revlon Lip Butter hype but didn't know which to get. Well Boots, you and your 3 for 2 helped me out so I bought one of each! I know everyone's comparing these products because I guess they claim to do the same thing; that is, be a moisturising lipstick. So what of it? Well they both cost the same at £7.99 each which I guess is standard, middle-of-the-road lipstick prices; it aint Chanel at £20+ and it aint Collection (2000) at £2.99. I'm gonna be honest, I've never really used these brands before. I think I had a L'oreal nude lipstick years ago and I can't recall ever buying anything from Revlon. Interestingly, I seem to skip the mid-range brands like Revlon and L'oreal, and either go super cheap or super expensive. But I've clearly been missing out.

I like the packaging of both these products. The Lip Butter has that oh-so-fashionable quilted look in a colour matching the product shade but what I most like is the clear window at the top of the lid so you can see the product. I think the Rouge Caresse looks more 'classy' and sleek with the metallic finish but I like both product packaging for different reasons.

I couldn't decide which colour to get with either of these and I guess my choice was limited by sell-out shades not being in stock so I went for Strawberry Shortcake and Fashionista Pink. I tried out the Revlon Lip Butter first and found it initially really moisturising and the colour was nice and bright for a 'lip balm' consistency. However, I found that after a short period of time the Lip Butter had dried out (for want of a better description) and my lips are dry enough as it is. I was constantly reapplying the Lip Butter which was a bit annoying. Strawberry Shortcake is a lovely rosey pink. I think with both these products, don't be scared by the brightness of the product until you try it out- the moisturisingness makes the colour less severe. The Rouge Caresse, on the other hand, was super moisturising. It's like Vaseline in a coloured stick! It's super glossy, super smooth and really pretty. Fashionista Pink is a really nice blue-toned baby pink, much more subtle than the Strawberry Shortcake Lip Butter. I think I've made a booboo with this colour because it is quite pale and my lips are so pigmented so it doesn't really show up all that well. But apart from that I love it.

I guess my conclusion is that the L'oreal Rouge Caresse is the better product in my opinion but the shade doesn't really do anything on my pigmented lips. I'm already planning on going out and buying another Rouge Caresse (or maybe 3 for 2!) in a different shade because I like it so much. I feel a lil bit let down by the Lip Butter after hearing all the hype but it just wasn't nice on my dry lips- which is surely what a lip butter is supposed to combat not worsen?! I'll deffo give the Lip Butter another try because the colour is super nice.

1 comment: