Underoath- They’re Only Chasing Safety (original and bonus version covers).
This is one of my all time favourite albums. It’s not too intense so I can listen to it no matter what mood I’m in and I know I’ll enjoy it. This album is just brilliant as a whole- there’s not one track on it that I don’t like. The songs are catchy and melodic whilst still having the intense edge of screaming vocals. I love the way the clean and screaming vocals play of each other and work together so well. I’ve seen Underoath live and I think nearly all of the members of the band sing at some point which makes a totally unique harmony in this type of music. The band’s resident keyboard player gives another layer to the sound- we all know I love a good keyboard/synth.
This was the first band I latched onto upon my finding of Christian rock/metal. At the time, Underoath seemed accessible yet heavy and different to other stuff I was listening to, and I still feel the same way about them now. "They’re Only Chasing Safety" was the first Christian rock/metal album I bought and it’s still up there with my faves. My favourite songs on this album are “I Don’t Feel Very Receptive Today” and “I’m Content With Losing” which is a beautiful song with some of my favourite lyrics ever. I have both the original and bonus versions of this album, the latter having additional remixes and a DVD if I’m not mistaken. But I always count “I’ve Got Ten Friends And A Crowbar That Say You Aint Gonna Do Jack” (on the bonus version) as being on the album- mostly because I love it.
A bit of back history of the band; Underoath have seven studio albums out and a couple of live ones to boot, going right back to 1999. I’ve not got the first two albums “Act of Depression” and “Cries of the Past” so I’ll be checking them out asap. Of all their albums, “They’re Only Chasing Safety” is for sure my fave but I also love the three subsequent albums “Define the Great Line”, “Lost in the Sound of Separation” and “O (Disambiguation)”; the former probably being my favourite of the three. The band have lacked stability in terms of members but their sound has grown and evolved into something that is entirely their own. It’s ethereal and harmonic whilst remaining edgy with a whole load of sampling and electric vibes. For me, Underoath have completely championed this type of sound and I'm yet to hear anything better in this style.
Overall, if you’re looking for something romantic with a multifaceted metalxcore sound and more vocals than you can shake a stick at, then deffo check this album and Underoath out.
p.s Want to see the previous 15 Album of the Week posts? Check out my archive on my Tumblr where it all began.
thanks for sharing x
ReplyDelete