Deaf Havana- Meet Me Halfway, At Least.
I thought that this album of the week could be a more summery number. This album reminds me of so many summer-days out driving in the car with my boyfriend, particularly on some of our holidays. It's got sentimental memories for me but it's still a cracking album.
This band fuse rockin riffs with screaming vocals, melodic guitars and the beautiful voice of guitarist and now-front man James Veck-Gilodi. Honestly, James makes this band for me- his vocals are so strong and powerful and just stunning. This album crashes in with opener 'This Town Is Ours', its up-beat with sing-a-long choruses and jovality all the way. The summer-classic 'Friends Like These' is probs a song that many people have heard and I guess you could say it's a bit of an anthem. I love love love 'Nicotine and Alcohol Saved My Life' its a beautifully painful song with soaring vocals and I love the way this track ends. I buzz off the way this album flows- the melodic vibe runs throughout but theres intense fury in parts and harsh misery in others. I buzz off the beginning and end of this album- don't get me wrong, the middle is ace but those songs stand out the most for me. I well like 'Right Now, I'm Anyone's' and LOVE 'In Desperate Need Of Adventure', the album closer which is just beautifully melodic and sorrowful. Some of the guitar of this album sounds like an electric violin- I dunno, it's just awesome.
This album is full of songs about teenage angst and rebellion and stick-it-to-the-man-neosis (see School of Rock) with a couple of broken-hearted love songs thrown into the mix. It's just James' vocals that totally make this band stand out for me- and his pipes are amazing live! If you're loving the screaming vocals on this album, I'm afraid Ryan Mellor is no longer with the band so James became full-time front man. I do like the new album 'Fools and Worthless Liars' (2011) but this album flows better in my opinion.
You should check these guys out, in my opinion there's no one else like them and that's mostly thanks to James Veck-Gilodi's unique vocals. I'd just like to give an honorable mention to the track 'Smiles All Round' not on this album or any other for that matter but I just love it. The end.
p.s For previous Album of the Week posts please check out my Tumblr Archive here.

No comments:
Post a Comment