Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Album of the Week #6.

The Black Dahlia Murder- Nocturnal.

This is another band that I’ve followed since their debut ‘Unhallowed’ (2003) and was a particular fan of their second release ‘Miasma’ (2005) which I still rave about. But for all the albums previous and since, this was it for me. Released in 2007, ‘Nocturnal’ is the ultimate in The Black Dahlia Murder’s arson of black metal influenced death core grim mania. Since this effort, they’ve released ‘Deflorate’ (2009) possibly my least fave though I’m not sure why, and their latest album ‘Ritual’ (2011) which is pretty damn awesome.

This album regularly travels with me in my auto-mobile for maximum travel fun. I love this album from start to finish. My fave tracks are probs ‘Everything Went Black’, ‘Nocturnal’ and ‘Deathmask Devine’. This album is brutal, the vocals are high pitched squezles in true black metal style and there’s some crazy metal guitar solos that will melt your corpse paint off. There are NO synths to speak of on this album I’ll have you know. I know, I’m branching out here. The drummer is shit-hot- he’s relentless and just blast beats all over this madness non-stop for the entire album to the point where my brain tries to escape from my skull.

My love for this band increased ten fold when I bought their DVD ‘Majesty’ and saw how dweeby this band are! They’re all just mega metal fans who also love nerd games and collecting dweeby stuff. Some parts of this album are machine gun intense but there’s melodies of mania and genius. This band don’t take themsleves too seriously but they sure take metal seriously. I love the final two tracks on this album ‘To a Breathless Oblivion’ and ‘Warborn’ which have some awesome shredding on. I’m not a massive fan of black metal (and I by no way am claiming that these are those) but the influence on this band has been taken and turned into something else and no one does it quite like TBDM. To top it all off, this band are unbelievable live. I saw them with a few other similar genre-d bands and they just blew them all off the stage and weren’t even headlining.

Overall, this is the best TBDM by far with its graveyard riffs, lethal blastbeats and winding guitars this is deffo one to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment