Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Album of the Week #9.

We Butter The Bread With Butter- Der Tag an dem die Welt unterging.

I first stumbled across this band whilst looking for new bands to check out on lastfm and these were recommended for fans of Iwrestledabearonce so I thought I’d give these guys a go. I bought this album and was mightily impressed.

Like IWABO, We Butter The Bread With Butter (WBTBWB) are bizarre. There music is electronic but full of dirty riffs, grunting vocals and catchy choruses. My fave two tracks are probs the title track “Der Tag an dem die Welt unterging” which opens with a furious blast of screaming and pounding riffage; and the next track “Oh Mama mach Kartoffelsalat” (meaning “Oh Mama make Potato Salad”) which is just as heavy and wild. The latter has one of my fave riffs ever in it! Its just really down-tuned guitars that seem to just roll into this incredible riff- you just have to hear it. The songs are really intense but seem to have this joviality running through them making them feel light hearted whilst remaining brutous maximus. Take, for example, the beatdown on track 4 “Alptraumsong” (“Nightmare Song”), its just creepy in a horror-film way but still packs a punch. It’s hard to describe but you can just tell these guys are up for a laugh and buzz off making the craziest noises they can with their instruments. I LOVE the way “Superfohn Bananendate” starts- it’s like the start of a bizarre dance song but then is immediately blasted out of the way by 80’s style guitar and a jolly riff that makes you want to dance like them battery-powered Father Christmas’- just me?

Some of the songs remind me of Caliban or more renound deathxcore bands. But then WBTBWB go and insert some mania and make it their own. Don’t get me wrong, the songs are seriously good but in parts they just make you smile because they do something daft and unexpected. Take “3008”, you can’t deny the intensity of that track. The latter half of the album is definitely more spacey and shredding-filled than the first half. “Der kleine Vampir” is probs my least favourite song on the album, probably because it goes too far into the realms of weirdness for me (and that’s real far trust me).

This album is full of brutal beatdowns, electronic widdley guitars and crazy synths. If you couldn’t already tell by now, these guys are German and they sing in German which can obv make it difficult to sing along to their catchy tunage. I buzz off the vocals on this album- ranging from pig squeals to disgusting screams. I see the resemblance of IWABO but I think this band have totally got their own thing going on- they don’t really use samples like IWABO do and the latter also have the unique selling point of having a female vocalist. Whereas WBTBWB are obviously in the same universe but maybe a different galaxy. Their Germanic routes definitely come out in their music and somehow I’ve always felt that German sounds dead intense in metal vocals.

I do buzz off this album but I’d say you deffo have to be in the mood for it. Sometimes it can be a bit too much but I can feel like that about most metal albums. Overall, this album is a good time to be had by all and I’d deffo say its one for guitar and beatdown lovers alike to check out. IWABO fans note that this is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment