Wednesday, 18 April 2012
Album of the Week #5.
Iwrestledabearonce- Iwrestledabearonce EP.
I know it’s an EP and therefore not technically an album but I’m reviewing it non-the-less. I honestly can’t remember how I first heard about this band, I can make an educated guess that I saw a review of this EP and felt compelled to check it out.
This EP is literally like nothing I’ve ever heard before. It’s proper insane. The vocalist Krysta Cameron (yes she’s a lady) flows from Bjork style clean vocals into ferocious screamy growls in such a natural way its awesome. The songs are disjointed and you don’t know whether you’re coming or going sometimes- in a good way. This band fuse intense beatdowns and spidery guitars with electro techno beats with some wild samples inserted here and there. I’d deffo describe this band as dweeb metal. I know this genre doesn’t exist but it sure should. You can just tell they like playing 8bit NES games whilst having debates about Star Wars and eating Nachos. Just me? Moving on.
This album starts with the song ‘Ulrich Firelord: Breaker of Mountains’, a personal favourite of mine as it has the best beatdown ever recorded on it- I challengeyou to prove me wrong. It also has a beatdown to the tune of the Alton Towers theme (I can’t remember what that piece of music is called) but need I say more? Then after an intense sample opening the next track we have ‘Alaskan Flounder Basket’ (all the songs have crazy names btw) which brings some more furious sounds. ‘Corey Feldman Holocaust’ has a Super Mario Bro’s sample in it before the beatdown which I must say is genius. This EP is intense and not for the faint hearted.
I would deffo recommend this band’s other records ‘It’s All Happening’ (2009) with the hits ‘You Aint No Family’ which has some nice banjo on it haha and ‘Taste Like Kevin Bacon’ which is just awesome; and they’re latest release ‘Ruining It For Everybody’ (2011) which is a taste of more insania. These are one of my fave metal bands, I just love how they don’t take themselves too seriously and they are AMAZING live. I saw this band live a few years ago at one of those gigs with like 6 bands on and I was head banging so much I actually face planted. It was awesome.
Overall, it’s robotic Bjork infused with ear-bleeding metal that will make your head explode. If you like intense beatdowns and just pure madness and utter geekdom then check this out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment