Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Album of the Week #7.

The Devil Wears Prada- Dead Throne.

This is it my friends. This is the album I have been waiting for. This is the album I always knew this band could make but they kept coming really close to but missing by just an inch. This is the one. I’ve been following TDWP since their debut ‘Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord’ (2006)- drawn in by their resident synth/keyboard player and crazy metalxcore tones, I remained faithful through their next two albums ‘Plagues’ (2007) and ‘With Roots Above and Branches Below’ (2009) which just kept getting better. But then, in 2010, something happened. And it changed everything…well for me any way! TDPW’s ‘Zombie EP’ was just it for me. It was fierce, intense and beautiful all at once and the zombie/horror/game theme just had me gripped. This was the turning point for this band- this shit just got serious.

So naturally, I had high hopes for their 2011 release ‘Dead Throne’ and wowzers did it deliver! I’ve been listening to this album regularly since it’s September release and my love for it continues to grow. This is for sure one of my albums of 2011. So what of it? Well of course, this band has synths- I think I’ve only review The Black Dahlia Murder so far that hasn’t, which I’m beginning to think is borderline obsessive and a bit weird haha. The opening title track has a nice build up which breaks into intense riffs and beatdowns. The songs are deep, technical and heavy. I would say the first half of this album is just relentless brutality and full throttle gore but the second half is where the magic happens. For me, from track 8 ‘Born To Lose’ it’s just perfect- don’t get me wrong, I love the whole album but the last 6 tracks are just something else. ‘Forever Decay’ has an intense period of build up with the vocalist chanting ‘Forever in ruin, Forever decay’, its just harsh but floating melodic riffs at the same time. Then ‘Chicago’ is one of my fave tracks with beautiful guitar and is super refreshing on such a heavy album. The vocals are quite pained in this song- it’s the sort of song that’s a perfect soundtrack to watching the world pass-by whilst looking out of a train window at sunset. (I think that’s mostly because that’s when I seem to listen to this album but it fits perfectly).

D’you know what I love about this band? I love the vocals- Mike Hranica has some great pipes on him and he has a crazy screaming range from deep and growly to strained and harrowing. Am I selling it? My other secret love for this band is the fact that they’re Christians, a rare sight in particularly British/European metal which can be lonely at times!-and some of the best metal is Christian metal. I found loads of Christian metal bands when on holiday in Italy when I was about 13 and the music channel on the TV turned into a Christian rock channel at night time. It was then that I discovered bands such as Underoath and Norma Jean who still remain some of my favourites. Don’t hate me based on my faith because I’ll still love you. That’s how Jesus rolls.

Overall, this album is heavy, melodic, synth-tastic and progressive. This band are bound for greatness and I’ll be following them every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment