Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Album of the week #3.

Woe, Is Me- Number[s].

This is an album which I can listen to whatever mood I’m in, and sing along from the top of my lungs! This album might be too ‘pop’ for some on face value but there’s some intense parts in songs and both vocalists (yes they have two!) has some intense pipes on them. At times, the clean vocalist (I believe he’s called Hance Alligood- what a name!) sounds a bit Michael Jackson-esque, in a good way.

I buzz of the way this band balance metal, catchy choruses and techno-y effects to make something that I think is quite unique. I’ve checked out loads of similar bands before but, for me, they’ve either been too techno/dancey or too ‘pop-y’. I don’t think that pop is the right word that I’m looking for but I don’t wanna say emo cause I don’t think that these are emo in anyway- genre-ising is such a minefield! I reckon these guys are ‘pop’ in the style of paramore but fused with intense beatdowns, screaming vocals and fierce riffage. This might sound weird but I think this band uses brief moments of silence really well- it’s that beat skipping prior to an intense pounding that makes metal exciting for me. Most of the songs on this album are super melodic and for the most part, you don’t feel like someone’s been jumping on your head for 45mins like some metal albums can make you feel (although I do like a good head jumper for the most part).

I have loads of fave tracks on this album but I could probs narrow it down to ‘[&] Delinquents’ which I think was the single (check out the video on Youtube); ‘For The Likes Of You’ and ‘Desolate [The Conductor]’. Based on the lyrics, I think the lyricist has some daddy issues but hurt and anger make for the best metal songs. I’m holding my breath for a new album release- I’d love to hear some more stuff by these guys. If you’re looking for some bone-crushing, ear-bleeding metal, then I’d say you’re best skipping this one. Overall, I’d describe this album as sing-a-long metalxcore (?) at it’s best.

No comments:

Post a Comment