Parkway Drive- Don’t Close Your Eyes.
This first and by far the best Parkway Drive album release
(OK, technically it’s an EP but it’s easier to write it like that), Don’t Close
Your Eyes is full of riffs, beatdowns and unbelievable awesomeness. The album
opens with a pretty intense intro which I assume is sampled from a film. Smoke
‘Em If You Got ‘Em is my personal favourite opening with an intense riff followed
immediately by chugging fury- this song is just full or brief but brilliant
beatdowns. The drums are ferocious and relentless teamed with the spidery
guitars and screaming vocals. I love the riff towards the end of this track-
for me it summarises Parkway Drive perfectly and this song closes with the
third and final beatdown, intense. For
me this album is all about the guitars from sharp riffs, grim beatdowns, dirty
chugs and wild widdling it’s all in there for me. Another favourite of mine is
Flesh, Bone and Weakness which opens with an awesome bass riff- I love how this
song builds up in contrast to some of the crashing song intros on
this album. The Cruise opens with the sound of waves breaking and some stunning
acoustic guitar- this is a beautiful instrumental which totally holds its own
in the middle of the crashing fury of the other tracks. Album closer Don’t
Close Your Eyes is another awesome track with some of my fave Parkway riffs in
it flowing from fast to slow chugs. The beatdown on this track is unbelievable
– there’s some quality guitar on this track too with seemingly endlessly
changing solos and overlays.
This album introduced me to so many other bands- my
boyfriend first bought Don’t Close Your Eyes when visiting family in Austrailia
back in the day and lent it to me and that was pretty much it for me. I’m not
really a fan of Killing With A Smile (2006) but I really love Horizons (2007-
check out The Siren’s Song, Carrion and Boneyards) and Deep Blue (2010- check
out Sleepwalker) is a fairly good album- but none of them top this for me
unfortunately. I dunno what you’d call Parkway Drive, maybe post-hardxcore; you
can definitely see the hardxcore influences but I think some of the guitar has
a Thin Lizzy type sound to it tbh. I hate trying to categorise music because
it, especially metal, pretty much has all the same influences but bands just
take them in a different direction. I actually have the bonus version of Don’t
Close Your Eyes cause the original is hard to get hold of but I’ve just
reviewed the 8 track EP here. Check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment