Evita- Like An Ocean We Rise Again EP.
I was trying to decide whether to review Like An Ocean We Rise Again EP (2007) or Evita's full length album Minutes And Miles (2009) but I chose the EP because it's just intense. Don't get me wrong, I love the album, but it always leaves me wanting more and I won't get that cause Evita are no more. Gutted. The Ep crashes open with instrumental 'Embrace The End' which is just a series of dirty riffs. This EP has that real raw sound to it, you know, like it was recorded in a shoe box. It's that really fuzzy, buzzing guitar and bass that make it sound extra intense. This track is essentially the intro for track 2 'Lap Dance Girl' opening with the same riffage. I love the vocals on this EP- they're really gutteral and low unlike some modern bands which sound strained and high pitched. There's some quality pig squeals on this EP- if that's not a reason to check it out then what is? My boyfriend genre-ised these as Pantera-inspired deathxcore just so you know. It makes used of the grooves of Entomed and Obituary.
Typical to bands what I do like, this band offer many a beatdown paired with chugging guitars. There's some good spidering about done on this EP I'll have you know. 'Monroe Faked It All' is furiously fast in the main with the added clean vocals- a feature which became central on full-length Minutes And Miles. 'Beyond The Rising Sun' is another brutal track but it makes way for my favourite 'Mercy Across Your Face' which has a beautiful guitar fade-in intro and a spine-tingling break-in of electric guitar. The riffs on this EP are just rolling- I don't know how better to describe it- one riff just gracefully rolls into the next one, there's no jagged switch. I'm gutted that this band are no more! I've just done some online research and discovered that Evita have re-formed but with no current release since the announcement in 2010- strange- and now have a clean vocalled hard rock sound. So they're a completely different band? Don't fall for it you guys! Overall, check it out you guys, its heavy stuff this EP.
No comments:
Post a Comment